Michael Yorio, MD
Dr. Michael Yorio is now able to provide Telehealth Visits through the free Zoom app.
Michael Yorio, M.D. is board-certified in Internal Medicine and has a Certificate of Added Qualification in Sports Medicine. He completed his undergraduate degree at Villanova University. He received his medical degree from SUNY Health Science Center at Syracuse. Dr. Yorio trained in internal medicine at the Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, North Carolina. He completed his sports medicine fellowship with the University of Maryland in Baltimore, Maryland. During his training he worked with the medical staffs of the Carolina Panthers and the Baltimore Ravens of the NFL, the Charlotte Checkers of the ECHL, the University of Maryland – College Park, the University of Maryland – Baltimore County, and Coppin State College. He served as Team Physician for the University of Maryland – College Park Terrapins from 2003-2005.
In 2008, Dr. Yorio was named the Director, Player Medical Services for the US Open Tennis Championships in Flushing Meadows, New York. In this position, he was responsible for coordinating and providing care to elite professional tennis players from around the world, both on and off the court. He has been a volunteer member of the USTA Sports Science Committee since 2007. He was Team Physician for the Molloy College Athletic Department, Hofstra University and for the New York Dragons. Dr. Yorio was also a member of the medical staff for the New York Islanders. He now joins the NFL Jacksonville Jaguars as their team physician and will provide Primary Care Sports Medicine.
Dr. Yorio’s practice focus is directed towards the complete care of the athlete with chronic and acute medical musculoskeletal conditions, injuries, plantar fasciitis, concussions, nutritional needs and general medical disorders.
An active member:
- United States Tennis Association
- The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine
- American College of Sports Medicine, his practice focuses on injury prevention, treatment and recovery.
Dr. Yorio practices at the JOI San Marco Location.
Central Appointment Line: 904-564-2000,
Direct Phone Number: 904-391-6955
Jacksonville Jaguars Team Physician
Dr. Yorio is the Internal Medicine Team Physician for the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Some specific programs available at JOI San Marco include:
JOI Concussion Center
– Diagnosis, management and facilitation of return to play protocols.
– Injury prevention, injury management, rehabilitation and performance enhancement provided by the US Open Team MD.
– Evaluation of under performing endurance athletes as well as the evaluation of recurrent overuse injuries through video gait analysis.
Injury Risk Assessments
– Using evidence based medicine to reduce injury risk for athletes and teams, including baseball and softball.
Baseball and Softball Throwing Injuries
- -To read more about the proper way to throw and the JOI Throwing Programs, please read this ARTICLE.
Sports Injury Assessments –
- -Identifying and treating acute injury or problems resulting from overuse.
Exercise Prescriptions –
- -Developing specific programs for individuals engaging in exercise for specific reasons or at a specific time in their development.
- According to The Telegraph, Andy Murray had The Birmingham Hip surgery on Monday January 28, 2019
- Preparing for exercise in hot weather
- Recovery in Professional Tennis – USTA
- Illness data from the US Open Tennis
- US Open Tennis Injury Analysis
- Concussion Information Sheet
- Concussions in Sports
- Ankle Sprains
- ACL Sprains
- Arthritis of the Knee, Shoulder, Hand and Hip
- Dislocated Shoulder and AC Seperation
- Elbow Injury
- Elbow Pain and Throwing Injuries
- Exercise Induced Asthma
- Foot and Ankle Pain
- Frozen Shoulder
- Hernia Sports
- Hip Pain
- IT Band Syndrome
- Intra-Articular Knee Injections
- Internal Medicine
- Jumper’s Knee
- Knee Cap Dislocation and Knee Sprains
- Knee Cap Pain and Knee Pain
- Low Back Strain
- Meniscus Tear
- Mild Traumatic Brain Injury
- Musculoskeletal Injuries
- Neck Strain
- Overuse Injuries
- Patella Dislocation
- Performance Enhancement for Tennis and Running Athletes
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Rotator Cuff Injuries
- Rotator Cuff Tendinitis/Strain
- Runner’s Knee
- Shoulder Dislocation and Instability
- Shoulder Impingement, Pain and Injuries
- Sports Physicals
- Sports Medicine
- Tendon Injuries
- Tennis Injuries and Tennis Elbow
- Tennis Injury Risk Reduction
- Throwing Injuries
- Tommy John Injuries
- Work Related Injuries
- Internal Medicine for the treatment of The Common Cold, Allergies, Infections, Flu, Upper Respiratory Infections
- Sport Performance Training
- Executive Physicals