Michael Yorio, MD
Michael Yorio, M.D. is board-certified in Internal Medicine and has a Certificate of Added Qualification in Sports Medicine. He completed his undergraduate degree at Villanova University, and received his medical degree from SUNY Health Science Center at Syracuse. Dr. Yorio trained in internal medicine at the Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, North Carolina. He completed his sports medicine fellowship with the University of Maryland in Baltimore, Maryland. During his training he worked with the medical staffs of the Carolina Panthers and the Baltimore Ravens of the NFL, the Charlotte Checkers of the ECHL, the University of Maryland – College Park, the University of Maryland – Baltimore County, and Coppin State College. He served as Team Physician for the University of Maryland – College Park Terrapins from 2003-2005.
In 2008, Dr. Yorio was named the Director, Player Medical Services for the US Open Tennis Championships in Flushing Meadows, New York. In this position, he was responsible for coordinating and providing care to elite professional tennis players from around the world, both on and off the court. He has been a volunteer member of the USTA Sports Science Committee since 2007 and was Team Physician for the Molloy College Athletic Department, Hofstra University and for the New York Dragons, as well as a member of the medical staff for the New York Islanders. He now joins the NFL Jacksonville Jaguars as their team physician and will provide Primary Care Sports Medicine at the Jacksonville Orthopaedic Institute San Marco location. Dr. Yorio is currently working on a project with wheelchair tennis athletes.
Dr. Yorio’s practice focus is directed towards the complete care of the athlete with chronic and acute medical musculoskeletal conditions, injuries, plantar fasciitis, concussions, nutritional needs and general medical disorders. An active member of the United States Tennis Association, the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine and the American College of Sports Medicine, his practice focuses on injury prevention, treatment and recovery.
Jacksonville Jaguars Team Physician
Dr. Yorio is the Internal Medicine Team Physician for the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Some specific programs available at JOI San Marco include:
JOI Concussion Center
– Diagnosis, management and facilitation of return to play protocols.
– Injury prevention, injury management, rehabilitation and performance enhancement provided by the US Open Team MD.
– Evaluation of under performing endurance athletes as well as the evaluation of recurrent overuse injuries through video gait analysis.
Injury Risk Assessments
– Using evidence based medicine to reduce injury risk for athletes and teams, including baseball and softball.
- Sports Injury Assessments – Identifying and treating acute injury or problems resulting from overuse.
- Exercise Prescriptions – Developing specific programs for individuals engaging in exercise for specific reasons or at a specific time in their development.