Causes of Whiplash Injuries
By Ehren Allen, DPT/Certified Orthopedic Manual Therapist
What are the Causes of Whiplash Injuries?
Whiplash injuries usually occur from:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Fall on stairs
- Contact Sports like Football, basketball, lacrosse, baseball, boxing, rugby, soccer etc.
Imaging For Neck or Cervical Whiplash Injuries
X-ray or MRI can be performed after a whiplash injury to rule out fractures, ligament, muscle and tendon damage. X-ray films may include an open-mouth X-ray to examine the upper neck.
Signs and Symptoms of Whiplash:
- Muscle guarding and spasm
- Generalized non-specific pain in the neck and upper back
- visual, hearing, and swallowing disturbances
Diagnosis of Whiplash
When there is forceful trauma that involves the head and neck, it is important to have a medical exam. In some cases, concussion can also occur with the neck injury. Physical therapy is common with Whiplash to help tissue healing and restore mobility.
Treatment for Whiplash Injuries:
Physical therapy is helpful with treating Whiplash injuries. JOI Rehab clinicians incorporate treatment modalities to improve mobility and stability in the tissues of the head and neck. Treatments may include:
- Soft tissue manipulation
- Joint mobilization
- Range of Motion Exercises
- Strength and stretch training
- Electrical Stimulation
- Laser Therapy
- Massage Therapy
Medical Massage Therapy like that seen in this VIDEO can help whiplash injury recovery.
- To schedule an appointment for physical or occupational therapy, call any of the 12 area JOI Rehab Centers or 904-858-7045. JOI rehab has a fast track program to get you into therapy ASAP. To find out more, go to: FAST TRACK SPINE
- Related Article: Common Reasons for Neck Pain.
If you need to schedule an appointment with a Neck Orthopedic Specialist, please call 904-JOI-2000, schedule online or click the link below.
By: Ehren Allen, PT