By Stretch Newsletter
JOI Rehabilitation Introduces Laser Therapy
JOI Rehab is happy to announce the purchase of 3 Class IV lasers which can be found at our South, San Marco and Beach locations. The use of the laser allows our clinicians to have another tool to reduce pain, inflammation and muscle spasms for the various orthopedic conditions that plague our patients. Laser therapy is a cutting-edge modality. It is being utilized by several professional sports organizations and colleges to speed the healing of their athletes. While it is new to JOI, it has been cleared by the FDA to treat pain, inflammation and muscle spasm. It can be utilized with a large array of conditions, including, but not limited to, sprain/strains, tendinitis, arthritis and chronic pain conditions.
Class IV lasers work by stimulating cellular activity, not by producing heat, like more traditional modalities such as ultrasound, moist heat packs and diathermy. Our lasers work by stimulating production of ATP in the damaged cells to enhance healing. Research has shown that the damaged cells absorb the light energy from the laser much more readily than healthy cells in the treatment area. There are very few contraindications for laser treatment (cancer, pregnancy, active infection, implanted devices like pacemakers and taking photosensitive medications) but we do require a prescription from your doctor to perform laser. If your physician would like more information, we will provide it over the phone, through email or even perform an in-service for the physician at his/her clinic. The laser coordinator, Sarah Katsaras, PT, OCS, can be reached by email at email@example.com.
The treatment with our Class IV laser is typically 10 minutes or less, depending on the body part and condition. The treatment is cumulative so we recommend 2 to 3 treatments each week for up to 6 treatments. The treatment administers light energy to the targeted tissues so you will feel a comfortable sensation of deep warmth and most patients will experience some immediate benefit after the 1st treatment. Laser is not presently covered by insurance but we offer it at an affordable price, $20 per treatment with the first session free. If you are interested in trying the laser, please consider attending one of our upcoming open houses, where we will be offering free laser treatment. Otherwise, you can contact one of the three facilities that offer laser treatment: JOI Rehab South/ Spine Center, San Marco or Beaches.
Frequently Asked Questions about Laser Therapy
What to Expect?
- Laser therapy is a non-invasive technique to help reduce pain and inflammation. Laser therapy can be safely used as an adjunct or replacement for pharmaceutical drugs. This pain relief treatment is FDA cleared and will be performed under the direction of your physician by one of the JOI Rehabilitation licensed healthcare providers
- Laser therapy treatments last between 5 and 10 minutes depending on the condition being treated. Laser therapy treatments must be administered directly to the skin as laser light cannot penetrate through layers of clothing. You will feel a soothing warmth as the therapy is administered
- Depending on the condition being treated your therapy may be administered through either contact or non-contact hand piece. The contact hand piece is designed to allow the practitioner to physically manipulate the tissue while administering the treatment, resulting in a laser-massage treatment. This attachment allows for light to penetrate deeper into tissues than the non-contact hand piece due to its ability to manipulate the tissue through a laser-massage technique
- Patients generally see results after 3 to 5 treatments and most will experience some change during the initial treatment. Together, your doctor and JOI clinician will develop a treatment plan that is optimal for your condition
How Does It Work?
- LiteCure Medical lasers work by flooding the tissue with photons, which energizes cells resulting in increased circulation to the injured area and ultimately pain reduction.
- Laser therapy allows your body to utilize it’s own healing powers by inducing a series of healing responses in your body. During treatment you will feel a soothing warmth that identifies the beginning of an 18-24 hour process of modulated cellular activity leading to decreased pain and inflammation
Is It Safe?
- JOI Rehabilitation’s LiteCure Medical lasers are cleared by the FDA and adhere to strict ISO standards in order to provide you with the safest non-invasive treatment option on the market. Laser therapy provides you with a safe and effective alternative to drugs and works nicely as an adjunct to physical therapy
- All JOI clinicians using the laser have attended extended training and are registered providers with the State of Florida Department of Health
Laser treatment Contraindications consist of :
- Pregnancy *Pacemaker or other implanted medical devices
- Patients taking photosensitive medications
- Sites of steroid injection within the past 7 day
Laser Therapy Testimonials
“I was having issues with my neck and recovering from back surgery. Dr Scharf recommended trying laser therapy for both the back and neck areas. After just three treatments I’ve noticed a significant improvement in mobility as well as a reduction in pain.” -Rick Walker, JOI Patient
“As a competitive athlete, I want an edge in staying on top of my game. So when I get injured I turn to laser therapy to expedite healing. I’ve had excellent results with my foot, wrist, and forearm pain. Because of my personal experience, I’ve been recommending laser therapy to my patients and so far the feedback has been great.” -David Doward , MD, JOI Physician
Where is Telemedicine frequently used?
All JOI Physicians, Physical Therapists and Occupational Therapists now offer Telemedicine services for virtual visits from the convenience of your home. If you feel that it is best to stay in your own home during this time, we can still provide orthopaedic Telehealth services for you. Through the download of the free Zoom app on the your phone, tablet or laptop. Our physicians and Telehealth for Physical Therapy can evaluate you and provide the care you need.
- To schedule a new patient or follow up patient appointment with your MD, please call (904)JOI-2000 or read more here about our orthopedic telemedicine providers.
- To schedule an appointment for physical or occupational therapy, call 904-858-7045 or call any of the 12 area JOI Rehab Centers.
JOI Physicians are currently offering ASAP Fracture care. Make an appointment by calling (904)JOI-2000. This is a new option for patients who would like to avoid the emergency room if they have suffered a fracture or soft tissue injury. To learn more about this service, read this article about fracture and injury care.