By Andrew Heideman PT/ATC
Runner’s Knee Pain Explained
This condition, runner’s knee, is an irritation of the cartilage on the back of the patella (the kneecap) that causes pain in one or both knees. This condition is also called Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome. This can be caused by a number of different factors. They usually have pain over the patella or knee cap or pain on the inside aspect of the knee.
Causes of Knee Pain
- Poor VMO or quad strength
- Improper tracking of the patella or knee cap
- Tight hamstrings or tight IT band
- Larger Q angle for female athletes
- Chondromalacia or a rough surface of the patella or knee cap
- Overuse or too much running
- Improper shoes or support in the shoes
- Running on uneven surfaces or changing from your typical surface.
Want to learn more about orthopedics? Click HERE to watch our YouTube Videos!
JOI and JOI Rehab
JOI Physicians continue to offer online new patient appointments. This is another option to make it more convenient to make new patient appointments with less phone hold times. Follow the link below to select your JOI MD and schedule online.
You can still call 904-JOI-2000 to make new patient JOI Physician Appointments if that is your preference.
To make appointments with JOI Rehab, please call 904-858-7045.