By Ehren Allen, Certified Manual Therapist/Physical Therapist
Common Reasons for Neck Pain
Neck pain is usually encountered in the center (base) of the neck. Furthermore, the pain can travel down to the
- left and/or right shoulder
- left and/or right shoulder blade
Also, some people experience headaches and numbness from the base of the neck. Moreover, different types of neck pain, which varies from person to person.
There are multiple reasons why someone may have neck pain throughout their daily activities. Pain may occur from the following:
- poor posture
- poor sleeping position
- stagnant position for prolonged periods
- environmental factors (i.e. desk job, transportation)
- traumatic events (i.e. sport or car accidents)
However, completing the proper neck stretches and treatment procedures, it should relieve your neck pain significantly.
To learn more about where your neck pain begins, watch this video at: https://www.joionline.net/library/show/where_neck_pain_begins/#vm_A_4691e1ab
5 Easy Stretches for Neck Pain
The following exercises listed below are common stretches that will help relieve pain. For each stretch, hold for about 5 seconds. If for some reason these exercises are very painful to complete, talk to your primary doctor immediately.
While sitting or standing with good posture, slowly pull your head backwards. Your chin should be tucked down as if you were intentionally making a double chin.
Sitting with proper posture, lift your shoulders up towards your ears and then have them descend down.
While standing, move your shoulders back towards your shoulder blades. They should be touching one another. The pectoral stretch helps with improving posture.
Neck Flexion (Sitting Down)
Move your head downward as much as possible with keeping your chin down. Then, slightly move your head toward the left and then right. After completing this exercise a few times, rest by bringing your head to a level position.
First, make sure you are looking straight forward with good posture. Next, bend your neck sideways to where you feel the neck pain. Make sure you are not rotating your head left from right, directly back and forth.
Treatment to Relieve Neck Pain
There are multiple ways you can help treat your neck pain. First, the best sleeping position to relieve the pain is on your back because the spine stays neutral. Furthermore, having a pillow (rounded memory foam or feather) under the neck while sleeping on your back is the best and safest way to sleep when experiencing pain. Second, put heat or ice on the area of the neck where you’re experiencing pain. Also, sometimes a warm or hot shower may help relieve any tension in the neck as well.
If you have tried all of these tips and are still experiencing severe neck pain, please contact your primary care doctor or a physical therapist immediately.
Prevention for Neck Pain
Listed below are reminders that can help you prevent pain throughout your daily routine.
- Sleep in the best position (on your back) with a pillow supporting your neck.
- Stand and/or sit with good posture.
- Complete the 5 easy stretches throughout your work day.
- Avoid carrying heavy objects on your shoulders.
JOI Rehab Can Help with Your Neck Pain
If you have persistent neck tightness or pain, physical therapy can be a helpful option. A physical therapist will evaluate the health of the neck and the surrounding area to determine any movement issues.
JOI has 12 physical therapy clinics conveniently located in Jacksonville and Northeast FL who specialize in orthopedic rehab. Our JOI team has the expertise and technological advances to get you back to your ideal level of function.
- Arlington – 1301 Monument Road, Suite 14 Jacksonville, FL 32225
- Appointment Line 904.733.9948
- Baptist Beaches – 1577 Roberts Drive, Suite 320 Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250
- Appointment Line 904.247.3324
- Fleming Island/Clay County – 1747 Baptist Clay Drive, Suite 210 Fleming Island, FL 32003
- Appointment Line 904.621.0396
- Mandarin – 12276 San Jose Blvd., Suite 716 & 717 Jacksonville, FL 32223
- Appointment Line 904.288.9604
- Nassau – 1348 18th Street South, Suite 320a Fernandina Beach, FL. 32034
- Appointment Line 904.557.9021
- Nocatee – 203 Fort Wade Road Suite 130 Ponte Vedra FL 32081
- Appointment Line 904.686.3111
- North – 12961 North Main Street, Suite 201 & 202 Jacksonville, FL 32218
- Appointment Line 904.757.2474
- Point Meadows – 7740 Point Meadows Drive, Suite 1&2 Jacksonville, FL 32256
- Appointment Line 904.564.9594
- San Marco – 1325 San Marco Blvd., Suite 102 Jacksonville, FL 32207
- Appointment Line 904.858.7045
- South – 14534 Old St. Augustine Road Jacksonville FL 32258 Suite 3220 MOB 3, 2nd Floor
- Appointment Line 904.288.9491
- World Golf – 105 Murabella Parkway, Suite 6, St. Augustine, FL 32092
- Appointment Line 904.224.2666
If you are interested in scheduling an appointment at JOI Rehab for physical therapy, call (904) 858-7045. Come see us!