By Ehren Allen, Certified Manual Therapist/Physical Therapist
Medical Laser Therapy
JOI Rehab Laser Therapy
JOI Rehab is happy to announce the purchase of 3 Class IV lasers which can be found at our Westside, San Marco and Beach locations. The use of the laser allows our clinicians to have another tool to reduce pain, inflammation and muscle spasms. It is helpful for various orthopedic conditions that plague our patients. Laser therapy is a cutting-edge modality. Several professional sports organizations and colleges use laser to speed the healing of their athletes. While it is new to JOI, it has clearance by the FDA to treat pain, inflammation and muscle spasm. It can be helpful with a large array of conditions, including, but not limited to, sprain/strains, tendinitis, arthritis and chronic pain conditions.
Class IV Lasers
Class IV lasers work by stimulating cellular activity, not by producing heat. It is not like more traditional modalities such as ultrasound, moist heat packs and diathermy. Our lasers work by stimulating production of ATP in the damaged cells to enhance healing. Research has shown that the damaged cells absorb the light energy from the laser much more readily than healthy cells in the treatment area. There are very few contraindications for laser treatment (cancer, pregnancy, active infection, devices like pacemakers and taking photosensitive medications) but we do require a prescription from your doctor to perform laser.
If your physician would like more information, we can certainly help with that. We can contact them through email or even perform an in-service for the physician at his/her clinic. Medical Laser therapy works by flooding the tissue with photons. This energizes cells within the injured tissue to begin the healing process.
This therapy allows your body to utilize its own restorative powers. By inducing a series of healing responses in your body. As you feel the soothing warmth of our medical laser, you will begin an 18-24 hour process of modulated cellular activity leading to decrease pain and inflammation.
What to Expect During Treatment?
Treatments last between 3-15 minutes. During treatment, you will feel a soothing warmth. The contact handpiece allows your therapist to manipulate the tissue while administering the treatment physically. Resulting in a laser-massage treatment. This allows for light to penetrate deeper into the tissues. This is due to its ability to displace the tissue through the laser-massage technique. You should experience positive results after 5-8 treatments, or perhaps, even an immediate change during the initial treatment.
How Does Laser Therapy Work?
- LiteCure Medical lasers work by flooding the tissue with photons, which energizes cells resulting in increased circulation to the injured area and ultimately pain reduction.
- Laser therapy allows your body to utilize it’s own healing powers by inducing a series of healing responses in your body. During treatment you will feel a soothing warmth that identifies the beginning of an 18-24 hour process of modulated cellular activity leading to decreased pain and inflammation
Where can you get Laser Treatment?
Available at our San Marco, South & Westside/Roosevelt Rehab locations. Medical laser is $20 per visit per body part. *In most instances, the laser is not typically billable to insurance. Our self pay option is very affordable.
Is It Safe?
- JOI Rehabilitation’s LiteCure Medical lasers are cleared by the FDA and adhere to strict ISO standards in order to provide you with the safest non-invasive treatment option on the market. Laser therapy provides you with a safe and effective alternative to drugs and works nicely as an adjunct to physical therapy
- All JOI clinicians using the laser have attended extended training and are registered providers with the State of Florida Department of Health
Laser treatment Contraindications
- Pregnancy *Pacemaker or other implanted medical devices
- Patients taking photosensitive medications
- Sites of steroid injection within the past 7 day
Laser Therapy Testimonials
“I was having issues with my neck and recovering from back surgery. Dr. Scharf had a recommendation to try laser therapy for both the back and neck areas. After just three treatments I’ve noticed a significant improvement in mobility as well as a reduction in pain.” -Rick Walker, JOI Patient
“As a competitive athlete, I want an edge in staying on top of my game. So when I injuries, I turn to laser therapy to expedite healing. I’ve had excellent results with my foot, wrist, and forearm pain. Because of my personal experience, I’ve been recommending laser therapy to my patients and so far the feedback has been great.” -David Doward, MD, JOI Physician