Diseases of the Spine
By General Info
Diseases of the Spine Explained
If you are experiencing diseases of the spine, pain in the neck or shoulder, tingling or numbness in the arms, or have experienced weakness when using the arms or hands, the source of the problem may be in the neck or cervical spine. Pain, weakness or numbness in the legs, along with difficulty walking may be caused by lumbar spine disease. These disorders may be caused by age, injury, poor posture, or other disease processes.
Spinal Diseases include:
- Spondylosis is basically osteoarthritis in the spine. It may include to degenerative disk disease, bone spurs, and facet joint disease.
- Herniated Disk or Spinal Disk Herniation occurs when the fluid in the disk protrudes into or through the outer layer of the disk. This can cause pain, nerve impingement or a pinched nerve, or symptoms in the legs.
- Degenerative Disk Disease is when the intervertebral disk loose height and size, causing the vertebrae to sit closer together and have less stability. These changes may be accompanied by other arthritic changes and cause inflammation or encroachment on nerve structures.
- Spinal Stenosis or Lumbar Spinal Stenosis is a term that refers to the narrowing of the spinal canal due to degenerative changes which may lead to compression of the neural structures in the back.
- Spondylolysis is a defect which develops in part of the vertebra in the lower back, usually the last vertebra of the lumbar spine. This typically occurs with repeated stress on the structure. Dancers and gymnasts may develop this issue due to repetitive forceful hyperextension movements of the lower lumbar spine.
- Spondylolisthesis occurs when there is instability in the spine and one vertebrae slips forward on the one below it.
- Osteoporosis is a disease in which bone density decreases, increasing the risk of fractures. It is most common in post-menopausal women.
- Kyphosis refers to the excessive forward curvature of the spine. A common presentation is in the upper back (Thoracic Spine) with a hunched back or humped back.
- Ankylosing Spondylitis(Bamboo Spine) in the spine is a connective tissue disease which leads to the vertebrae fusing to each other.
These are only a few of the disorders or diseases which may affect the spine. If you would like to learn more about low back pain, go to: https://www.joionline.net/trending/content/low-back-pain