Diabetic Foot Care
By Andy Godek PT/ATC
Diabetic Foot Care
Diabetes can take its toll on your body, including areas that are easily overlooked, such as your feet. Making sure you maintain healthy life choices to keep your blood sugar close to normal and under good control may help you prevent diabetes-related foot problems, such as loss of feeling, changes in the shape of your feet, or foot ulcers or sores that do not heal.
Working with your doctor to maintain a strong health care plan can help you overcome foot care problems presented by diabetes. You may suffer from serious foot problems, but because you feel no pain due to nerve damage caused by diabetes, you might overlook a potentially severe injury. Taking care of your feet can help you avoid serious foot problems that can lead to toe, foot, or leg amputation. If you’re diabetic, you may want to check your feet daily for cuts, sores, red spots, swelling, and infected toenails.
Tips for Diabetic Foot Care
- Washing your feet with warm water every day.
- Make sure not to soak your feet because it can cause your skin to dry out.
- Trim your toenails regularly.
- Wearing socks and shoes at all times.
- Protecting your feet from hot and cold.
- Keeping the blood flowing to your feet can protect you from suffering pain and discomfort.
- Asking your doctor to provide you with a safe activity program.
- Avoid activities that are hard on the feet.
- i.e. running & jumping.
- Having proper footwear.
Whether you are suffering from back issues, joint pain, or injuries resulting from any type of activity, JOI has physical therapy clinics conveniently located in Jacksonville and Northeast FL who specialize in orthopedic rehab.
If your injury does require physical therapy or surgery, our JOI team has the expertise and technological advances to get you back to your ideal level of function. If you are interested in scheduling an appointment at JOI Rehab for physical therapy, call (904) 858-7045 or click the banner below. Come see us!
Where is Telemedicine frequently used?
All JOI Physicians, Physical Therapists and Occupational Therapists now offer Telemedicine services for virtual visits from the convenience of your home. If you feel that it is best to stay in your own home during this time, we can still provide orthopaedic Telehealth services for you. Through the download of the free Zoom app on the your phone, tablet or laptop. Our physicians and Telehealth for Physical Therapy can evaluate you and provide the care you need.
- To schedule a new patient or follow up patient appointment with your MD, please call (904)JOI-2000 or read more here about our orthopedic telemedicine providers.
- To schedule an appointment for physical or occupational therapy, call 904-858-7045 or call any of the 12 area JOI Rehab Centers.
JOI Physicians are currently offering ASAP Fracture care. Make an appointment by calling (904)JOI-2000. This is a new option for patients who would like to avoid the emergency room if they have suffered a fracture or soft tissue injury. To learn more about this service, read this article about fracture and injury care.