Injections and Blood Clots after Total Joint Replacement
By Matt Paulus, MS, ATC, Site Coordinator
Infections & Blood Clots After Total Joint Replacement
Most patients recover from total joint replacement without issue. However, in very isolated cases an issue with infection or blood clots may develop and it is important to know the signs of each as they are serious conditions.
Infection Warning Signs
- Persistent fever (greater than 100°)
- Shaking chills
- Increasing redness
- swelling around the wound
- Increasing pain with both activity and rest
Blood Clot Warning Signs
- Pain in your leg or calf unrelated to your incision
- Tenderness or redness above or below your knee
- Severe swelling of your thigh, calf, ankle, or foot
- Pain in your calf when you stretch your toes upward
- Area around knee feels very hot to touch
Whether you are suffering from back issues, joint pain, or injuries resulting from any type of activity, JOI has 12 physical therapy clinics conveniently located in Jacksonville and Northeast FL who specialize in orthopedic rehab.
If you are interested in scheduling an appointment at JOI Rehab for physical therapy, call (904) 858-7045. Come see us!
- To schedule an appointment for physical or occupational therapy, call any of the 12 area JOI Rehab Centers.
JOI Fracture and Injury Care
JOI Physicians are currently offering ASAP Fracture care. Make an appointment by calling (904) JOI-2000. This is a new option for patients who would like to avoid the emergency room if they have suffered a fracture or soft tissue injury. To learn more about this service, read this article about fracture and injury care.