Anatomy of the Spine
By Ehren Allen, PT/CMT
Anatomy of the Spine
Low Back and Neck Anatomy
The spinal column is the body’s main support structure. Its thirty-three bones, called vertebrae, are divided into five regions:
The spine is a series of vertebral bones which are stacked to provide stability and structure for our bodies. It also houses the spinal cord and nerves which branch to all of the parts of the body. The spine has many joints which allow movement and function.
To learn more about disc herniation, please watch this Disc Herniation Video.
JOI Physical Therapy Treatments For Low Back Pain
Low back pain can be treated with conservative physical therapy. Just like there are many reasons for low back pain there are also many ways to treat it in physical therapy. Some ways to treat it are:
- Joint mobilization- a hands-on technique to improve mobility of the joint, is used to treat low back pain.
- Medical massages- more common way to treat pain in the lower back
- Ergonomic education- is important in treating low back pain, as the source of most of the pain comes from how people sit and/or stand for long periods of time
JOI Rehab has 3 dedicated spine centers which specialize in the treatment of the entire spine. If you need physical therapy, call 904 858 7045. The JOI Spine Team is made up of JOI Board Certified Spine Orthopaedic Surgeons, Physiatrists, Acupuncturist, Physical Therapists and Medical Massage Therapists.
If you would like to learn more about low back pain, please follow the link: https://www.joionline.net/trending/content/low-back-pain
If you are interested in scheduling an appointment at JOI Rehab for physical therapy, go to: JOIonline.net or call 904-858-7045
To schedule an appointment with an Orthopaedic Spine MD, click below or call JOI-2000.
Where is Telemedicine Used?
All JOI Physicians, Physical Therapists and Occupational Therapists now offer Telemedicine services for virtual visits from the convenience of your home. Through the download of the free Zoom app on the your phone, tablet or laptop. Our physicians and Telehealth for Physical Therapy can evaluate you and provide the care you need.
- To schedule a new patient or follow up patient appointment with your MD, please call (904)JOI-2000 or read more here about our JOI orthopedic telemedicine providers.
- To schedule an appointment for physical or occupational therapy, call 904-858-7045 or call any of the 12 area JOI Rehab Centers.
JOI Fracture and Injury Care Services
JOI Physicians are currently offering ASAP Fracture care. Make an appointment by calling (904)JOI-2000. This is a new option for patients who would like to avoid the emergency room if they have suffered a fracture or soft tissue injury. To learn more about this service, read this article about fracture and injury care.
To make an appointment, please click below. JOI… Where The Pros Go.