Anatomy of the Spine
By Ehren Allen, PT/CMT
Anatomy of the Spine
In the picture above is the anatomy of the spine. The spinal column is the body’s main support structure. Its thirty-three bones, called vertebrae, are divided into five regions:
The spine is a series of vertebral bones which are stacked to provide stability and structure for our bodies. Also, it houses the spinal cord and nerves which branch to all of the parts of the body. In addition, the spine has many joints which allow movement and function.
To learn more about disc herniation, please watch this Disc Herniation Video.
JOI Physical Therapy Treatments For Low Back Pain
A treatment for low back pain can be conservative physical therapy. There are many reasons for low back pain. However, there are also many ways to treat it in physical therapy. Some ways to treat it are:
- Joint mobilization- a hands-on technique to improve mobility of the joint, is used to treat low back pain.
- Medical massages- more common way to treat pain in the lower back
- Ergonomic education- is important in treating low back pain, as the source of most of the pain comes from how people sit and/or stand for long periods of time
On another note, JOI Rehab has 3 dedicated spine centers which specialize in the treatment of the entire spine. Furthermore, if you need physical therapy, call 904-858-7045 The JOI Spine Team is made up of JOI Board Certified Spine Orthopaedic Surgeons, Physiatrists, Acupuncturist, Physical Therapists and Medical Massage Therapists.
Also, if you would like to learn more about low back pain, please follow the link: https://www.joionline.net/trending/content/low-back-pain If you are interested in scheduling an appointment at JOI Rehab for physical therapy, go to: JOIonline.net or call 904-858-7045
To schedule an appointment with an Orthopaedic Spine MD, click below or call JOI-2000. To watch a video about the Anatomy of the Spine, click HERE.
- Schedule a new patient or follow up patient appointment with your MD, please call (904)JOI-2000 or read more here about our JOI orthopedic telemedicine providers.
- To schedule an appointment for physical or occupational therapy, call 904-858-7045 or call any of the 12 area JOI Rehab Centers.
JOI Fracture and Injury Care Services
JOI Physicians are currently offering ASAP Fracture care. Make an appointment by calling (904)JOI-2000. This is a new option for patients who would like to avoid the emergency room if they have suffered a fracture or soft tissue injury. Also, to learn more about this service, read this article about fracture and injury care.
Furthermore, to make an appointment, please click below. JOI… Where The Pros Go.