Achilles Tendon (Video)
Please watch this VIDEO explaining the Achilles Tendon:
The Achilles Tendon is prone to develop Achilles Tendonitis or Tendinitis. This is where the tendon becomes inflamed for a variety of reasons.
Achilles Tendonitis Symptoms
What are the symptoms of Achilles Tendonitis?
- Pain and stiffness in the tendon upon waking up in the morning.
- Swelling and increase in temperature along the tendon.
- Decreased flexibility of the calf muscles.
- Thickening of the tendon.
- Creation of bone spurs in the foot.
- Pain a day after exercising or running.
- Swelling around the tendon that increases as the day goes on.
- A feeling of a pop in the tendon. This might indicate a tear when the tendon is being stressed.
Diagnosis and Treatment of Achilles Tendonitis
To properly diagnose this condition, your doctor will do a physical examination of you and gently apply pressure to the affected area to determine where the injury is. Next, the doctor will also evaluate the alignment, range of motion, and flexibility of your foot and ankle. After the physical exam, your doctor may order an MRI, ultrasound, or X-ray to rule any other injuries out.
On another note, Achilles tendonitis responds well to self care in most cases. If your condition is severe your doctor may prescribe other measures. Furthermore, over-the-counter medications may be prescribed to reduce inflammation or relieve pain. Physical therapy may also be recommended. Your physical therapist will give you specific exercises and stretches. They will also strengthen your Achilles tendon and supporting structures.
In severe cases, surgery may be necessary.
To schedule an appointment for physical therapy, please call 904-858-7045.
If you have an issue with your Achilles Tendon, Call 904-391-6955 and see a specialist who treats this condition. A new option, you can now schedule and cancel follow-up appointments with your physician at the JOI Patient Portal.
Dr. Yorio is a team physician for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Dr. Yorio is:
- Board-certified in Internal Medicine
- Certificate in Sports Medicine.
In conclusion, if you are interested in scheduling an appointment at JOI Rehab for physical therapy, go to: JOIonline.net or call 904-858-7045
By: Dr. Michael Yorio.