2021 Is Your Year!
By Ehren Allen, DPT/Certified Orthopedic Manual Therapist
Happy New Year from JOI
Happy New Year and Congratulations on making it through one of the most challenging years of our lifetime! 2020 was full of challenges, but rising above challenges is what we are all about here at JOI. We realize that there is still a lot of uncertainty with COVID-19, but JOI is committed to partner with you, no matter what.
As you charge forward into 2021, it is important to consider your goals for the New Year. I’m not talking about resolutions that fall by the wayside in a month. But solid, reasonable goals to improve your health and wellbeing.
How To Set Goals in the New Year
As a physical therapist, I help patients set goals every day. But helping them find personal and meaningful goals for their individual needs takes work. It requires
- having patients talk through their daily life and what they want to improve.
- really listening to what is important to them.
- helping them set reasonable timelines and steps to reach their goals.
But New Year’s goals are not always about physical changes. Finding health and wellbeing comes with finding peace where you are and deciding where you want to be. It is also about learning and growing in every stage of the journey to reach your goals.
Here are some tips to consider when setting goals for the New Year:
- Set short term goals and long term goals. If you want to lose 50 pounds, set goals to lose 5 pounds at a time, and make a specific plan to achieve your short term goals.
- Celebrate Success! When you reach a goal, celebrate! It is important to acknowledge when hard work pays off. This helps keep you motivated.
- Find an accountability partner. New Year’s Goals are tough and it is nearly impossible to be successful by yourself. Find a trusted friend or family member to hold you accountable and support you.
- Be reasonable. Goals need to be attainable and sustainable. Major lifestyle changes can be difficult to sustain so keep the changes doable. If you want to run a marathon, you have to build your strength and endurance 1 mile at a time.
Ways to Be Healthier in 2021
Healthy lifestyles were tough for many during 2020. Gyms were closed, sporting activities were cancelled and many no longer got up and out the door for work. All of these things encouraged a sedentary lifestyle. As we move into 2021, it’s time to think about ways to live a healthier lifestyle. Here are some things to consider.
- Eat Healthier
- Get More Sleep
- Get outside
- Spend time with friends and family (even if it’s virtual)
Of course, stay safe during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Continue to:
- Wear a mask
- Practice social distancing
- Wash your hands
How To Be More Active In 2021
Being active is one of the most important ways to improve health and wellbeing. Taking a walk outside, going on a bike ride, and doing yoga are all great ways to be active. But what if you have arthritis or some other orthopedic issue that keeps you from being active?
Now is the time to deal with those issues that are limiting your activity! If you are struggling with:
the Jacksonville Orthopaedic Institute wants you to know that you are not alone and we can help. JOI has the tools to get you moving and help you reclaim your active lifestyle in 2021!
We have locations throughout Northeast Florida for your convenience. If you would like to schedule an appointment with a JOI Orthopedic Doctor, call JOI-2000, schedule online, or click the link below.